Re: [K12OSN] alpha-numeric sorting in nautilus

Rob Owens wrote:
I'm trying to use Nautilus to find drawings by their filename in a large
directory.  For some reason they don't come out in proper order.  For
instance, this is how Nautilus sorts these files by name:

002-009-001--revH.pdf
03950T2-S749--revG.pdf
006037S.pdf

(note that these are all zeros, and not "oh's")

I've tried a few file managers (both Linux and Windows) and they all
sort the files in this order.  Konqueror is the only exception.  It
sorts properly -- the same way that 'ls' sorts.

I'd like for my users to be able to use Nautilus.  Is there a way to
correct it's screwed-up alphabetizing?

-Rob

Well, just the obvious question: anything particular you don't like about Konqueror? Sounds like it's doing the job for you....

A little Googling shows that you're hardly the only one running into this. The Ubuntu forms have several entries on just this (admittedly annoying) "intelligence" in Nautilus. Apparently it has something to do with the user's locale setting. I'd start here:

and then, if you think it's worth it, continue with this:

  http://www.linux.com/articles/53781

--TP