Re: [K12OSN] NFS v3 and v4 and Secure Logins

I don't think there is a secure way to use the old XDMCP login of LTSP4. LDM presents a login screen, and then takes the user's login info and builds an SSH connection with it. The lack of XDMCP's security is one of the main reasons LDM was created.

Peter

R. Scott Belford wrote:
Aloha

It is my understanding, and it may be a superficial one, that a
primary reason for moving away from LTSP4 and NFSv3 was security.  It
seems like NBD and LDM promise speed and security, thus they are the
foundation of LTSP5.  However, experience for me is showing that
nfs-based thin-client deployments, such as with DRBL or the
K12LTSPel5, are more satisfying for users with 'seasoned' hardware.
Is it possible that something like NFSv4 would help to solve the
packet-sniffing concerns, and isn't there a securely-wrapped GUI login
method other than LDM?  Just wondering.

--scott