Re: [K12OSN] Power School????

2008/12/9 Steve Hampton <wolfravenous gmail com>:

>> On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 4:51 PM, Accessys smart net
>> <accessys smart net>wrote:
>>

>> > I've finally got our school to consider K12ltsp but they want "power
>> > school" or an equivilant.  also there is a desire for a live CD.
>> >
>> > we're a parochial high school in Baltimore MD.
>> >

>> I am a volunteer supporting a public middle school in San Francisco that
>> uses Power School.  I am told by one of the teachers who is sympathetic to
>> FOSS that he has been told that Power School is in the process of making
>> PS
>> browseable.  At that point, the problem will go away.
>>

> Unless this is the wrong power school:
>
> http://www.powerschool.com/product/
>
> The problem is already gone their introductory statement as posted below
> indicates that the system is already browseable.
>
> "PowerSchool is a fully integrated, web-based, cross-platform student
> information system used by thousands of school districts. Fast to implement,
> reliable, and affordable."

OK, I'll chime in with the open source alternatives -- we need a FAQ for this.

As project manager for SchoolTool, I'll note first that we've released
a beta of our basic student information system -- see
http://schooltool.org

We'll be continuing steady development (we have funding for two
developers in 2009) up through the spring and summer, so there's time
to fill in the remaining gaps.  Also, the Commonwealth of Virginia
just released an RFP for a $40,000 statewide pilot of CanDo, an open
source competency tracking system that's a component of SchoolTool, so
we're getting some momentum.

The more established players are Centre and its many forks, and Open
Admin (http://richtech.ca/openadmin/)

--Tom