[K12OSN] Kid gets Linux LiveCD's confiscated at school!

Apparently a kid was handing out Linux LiveCD's and got them confiscated by a very angry teacher who called it "disruptive" and even "illegal".

  http://linuxlock.blogspot.com/2008/12/linux-stop-holding-our-kids-back.html

I quote the US Supreme Court in Tinker vs. Des Moines, 1969:

"In our system, state-operated schools may not be enclaves of totalitarianism. School officials do not possess absolute authority over their students. Students in school as well as out of school are 'persons' under our Constitution. They are possessed of fundamental rights which the State must respect, just as they themselves must respect their obligations to the State. In our system, students may not be regarded as closed-circuit recipients of only that which the State chooses to communicate. They may not be confined to the _expression_ of those sentiments that are officially approved. In the absence of a specific showing of constitutionally valid reasons to regulate their speech, students are entitled to freedom of _expression_ of their views. As Judge Gewin, speaking for the Fifth Circuit, said, school officials cannot suppress 'expressions of feelings with which they do not wish to contend.' Burnside v. Byars, supra, at 749."

This makes me sick.  Sick that such people are allowed to teach our kids.

--TP
Do you GNU?