[K12OSN] Kid gets Linux LiveCD's confiscated at school!

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Wed Dec 10 19:05:33 UTC 2008

Apparently a kid was handing out Linux LiveCD's and got them confiscated
by a very angry teacher who called it "disruptive" and even "illegal".

http://linuxlock.blogspot.com/2008/12/linux-stop-holding-our-kids-back.html

I quote the US Supreme Court in Tinker vs. Des Moines, 1969:

    "In our system, state-operated schools may not be enclaves of
    totalitarianism. School officials do not possess absolute authority
    over their students. Students in school as well as out of school are
    'persons' under our Constitution. They are possessed of fundamental
    rights which the State must respect, just as they themselves must
    respect their obligations to the State. In our system, students may
    not be regarded as closed-circuit recipients of only that which the
    State chooses to communicate. They may not be confined to the
    expression of those sentiments that are officially approved. In the
    absence of a specific showing of constitutionally valid reasons to
    regulate their speech, students are entitled to freedom of
    expression of their views. As Judge Gewin, speaking for the Fifth
    Circuit, said, school officials cannot suppress 'expressions of
    feelings with which they do not wish to contend.' Burnside v. Byars,
    supra, at 749."

This makes me sick.  Sick that such people are allowed to teach our kids.

--TP
Do you GNU <http://www.gnu.org>?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.cmosnetworks.com>--the ultimate
antivirus protection!