Re: [K12OSN] Most Bash scripting questions? :)

If you are looking for the file without the cd /home lines, you could do:
cat .bash_history |grep -v "cd /home" >>/root/logfile.log

The -v flag to grep will exclude the word passed to grep, so you will end up with a file without and cd /home lines in it.

Huck wrote:
was more about stripping out...but either of those will work fine
I can bastardize another script to rip 'em out...

thanks!

--Huck

austinsr wrote:
Huck,

This is fairly simple.
cat .bash_history |grep home >>/root/logfile.log
This will create a file in /root/ called logfile.log that contains all lines with the word "home" in them.

Did you need to remove these entries from .bash_history? Is this what you meant by "strip out"?

Shawn

Huck wrote:
I cat a file...   .bash_history in this case.

it has...

ls
cd RadioMadness
ls
cd /home/torkch/profile/Desktop/
ls Research\ Paper/
rm -rf Research\ Paper/
ls
rm Thumbs.db
cd /home/wincst/
ls
ls Physics/
rm -rf Physics/

for examply...

I want to strip out and KEEP... all lines that say

cd /home/

and keep that in a separate file...

Thanks for the help you Lovely Bash Script Gurus!!!