[K12OSN] Best solution for Internet access, control, and caching?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Fri Dec 12 01:20:09 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 16:46 -0500, Joseph Bishay wrote:
> Hello,
>
> How is everyone doing?
>
> We're revamping our Church network here and a new situation has
> arisen.  Our network has both an k12LTSP server handling around 20
> clients, and several standalone Window and Linux machines that need
> Internet access as well.  We have a DSL connection with 5 static IPs.
>
> I've read about Squid/Squidguard, IPCop, Dansguard, smoothwall, and
> lots of other stuff and it's all starting to blur.  I'd like to have
> the following:
>
> 1) Ability to log who (client or standalone) accessed what
Squid with SquidGuard and the log checker calamari to see the guilty
> 2) Ability to block elementary students from accessing inappropriate sites
SquidGuard and DansGuardian (be sure to block proxy sites as most kids
figure this out pretty quick - elementary kids don't want to see the
stuff and stumble by accident - middle school boys go _looking_ for it!)
> 3) Ability to allow certain computers unfettered access to any site
SquidGuard with user logins
> 4) A caching mechanism so common sites the whole class runs can be
> faster (is this needed? At some point is used to be all the rave)
Important for bandwidth starved locations - Squid with caching turned on
> 5) Ability for someone remotely to connect to the LTSP server or one
> of the the other Linux machines for administration.
ssh and webmin
> 6) Do my laundry :)
geeks don't wear clean clothes :-)

> I know some products do some things but I don't understand what does
> what.  I understand this would have to reside on a standalone machine
> and I have plenty of older computers that I can slap a couple of
> network cards into so that side is no problem.
>
> I look forward to your always-useful feedback.
>
> Thank you
> Joseph

James P. Kinney III
CEO & Director of Engineering