[K12OSN] Best solution for Internet access, control, and caching?

Rob Owens rob.owens at biochemfluidics.com
Fri Dec 12 13:17:46 UTC 2008

j.w. thomas wrote:
> Joseph Bishay wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> How is everyone doing?
>>
>> We're revamping our Church network here and a new situation has
>> arisen.  Our network has both an k12LTSP server handling around 20
>> clients, and several standalone Window and Linux machines that need
>> Internet access as well.  We have a DSL connection with 5 static IPs.
>>
>> I've read about Squid/Squidguard, IPCop, Dansguard, smoothwall, and
>> lots of other stuff and it's all starting to blur.  I'd like to have
>> the following:
>>
>> 1) Ability to log who (client or standalone) accessed what
>> 2) Ability to block elementary students from accessing inappropriate
>> sites
>> 3) Ability to allow certain computers unfettered access to any site
>> 4) A caching mechanism so common sites the whole class runs can be
>> faster (is this needed? At some point is used to be all the rave)
>> 5) Ability for someone remotely to connect to the LTSP server or one
>> of the the other Linux machines for administration.
>> 6) Do my laundry :)
>>
>> I know some products do some things but I don't understand what does
>> what.  I understand this would have to reside on a standalone machine
>> and I have plenty of older computers that I can slap a couple of
>> network cards into so that side is no problem.
>>
>> I look forward to your always-useful feedback.
>>
>> Thank you
>> Joseph

> Squid is a web caching proxy, so that will handle requirement 4.
> Squidguard in a squid plugin that will do filtering (Dans guardian is
> another filter, but I haven't used it).

The main difference between Squidguard and Dansguardian is that
Squidguard uses whitelists/blacklists and Dansguardian has the ability
to read each page a user requests and scan it for certain words,
phrases, etc., assigns the page a score based on those findings, and
allows/disallows based on that score.

-Rob

incomplete, or contain viruses.
version.