Re: [K12OSN] OT: bash help - copying a series of files

Rob Owens wrote:
Nils Breunese wrote:
Rob Owens wrote:

j.w. thomas wrote:
Rob Owens wrote:
I've read this somewhere before, but I'm having trouble finding it on
google...

I need to copy a series of files without using a loop.  I think the
syntax is something like:  cp /path/to/[file1 file2]
/destination/folder

But that doesn't work.  Does anybody know the correct syntax?  Google
isn't so good at searching special characters like [ and {
I do this:
cp /path/to/file1 /path/to/file2 /destination/folder

If the names are as similar as you wrote though, you should be able to
do this:

cp /path/to/file[12] /destination/folder

The names really aren't that similar.  Here's the actual paths that I
need to copy:

/usr/local/share/icons/Drawings.desktop
/usr/local/share/icons/Obsolete\ Drawings.desktop
/usr/local/share/icons/Obsolete\ a\ Drawing.desktop

Since it's only 3 files, I could do as Robert suggests:

cp  /path/file1  /path/file2  /path/file3  /dest/dir
But I was hoping to find a way with less typing, just in case someday I
have to do this with 10 files instead of 3.
You could first change the current working directory, so you don't need
to supply the path to every file.

    cd /usr/local/share/icons
    cp Drawings.desktop Obsolete\ Drawings.desktop Obsolete\ a\
Drawing.desktop /dest/dir

That would work, but how do I error check?  I'd like some verification
that the cd worked before cp'ing (because what if I was rm'ing instead?)

cd /usr/local/share/icons && cp Drawings.desktop Obsolete\ Drawings.desktop Obsolete\ a\

The above is all one line but tbird wrapped it. With the && in there, the second part will run only if the first part, the cd, succeeds.

Peter