[K12OSN] PowerPC iMacs as LTSP thin clients

http://wtogami.livejournal.com/29574.html
"Schools have thousands of old G3 iMacs that are now too old and slow to be useful. They would be useful again if they were LTSP thin clients, logging into a modern x86_64 terminal server. So I tried to make them boot as thin clients using LTSP and standard Fedora ppc components. The next release of ltsp will automatically build a thin client chroot in /opt/ltsp/ppc with the ltsp-build-client command. The idea is that you could copy that /opt/ltsp/ppc chroot to your x86_64 server that handles ordinary i386 client netboot, and through dhcpd.conf trickery it could serve netboot to the PPC clients. Unfortunately I couldn't get it to work."

Read the blog for details. If anybody has further suggestions of stuff to try I'm all ears.

Warren Togami
wtogami redhat com