[K12OSN] Anyone quantified savings using LTSP?

Rob Owens rob.owens at biochemfluidics.com
Fri Feb 8 12:23:23 UTC 2008

Terrell Prude' Jr. wrote:
> Rob Owens wrote:
>> Terrell Prudé Jr. wrote:

>>> I have to disagree somewhat here.  Old PC's actually don't use much
>>> juice at all if you just pull the hard disks (the power cable to the
>>> HD is sufficient) and use LCD screens with them.  CRT's are going to
>>> suck power whether you hook them up to a new Northtec-style thin
>>> client or an old PC.
>>> We once got a bunch of donated 15" LCD screens at one school, and
>>> they got put into a lab full of Dell OptiPlex GX1's.   Once I flashed
>>> the BIOSes to the latest revision (took 5 minutes per box), things
>>> went smoothly as wet ice...and saved a nice wad of cash, too.
>>>
>> I recently did some power measurements of various types of computer
>> equipment.  I'm attaching an ods spreadsheet, but I'm not sure if the
>> list will block it or not.  I found that old P2 or P3 machines used
>> about 30 Watts or so (idle) when used as a thin client.
>>
>> -Rob
>
> Looks like it came through OK.
> Good, thorough analysis, Rob.  Your measurements are similar to mine for
> old PC's.  I got 29W usage with a Dell OptiPlex GX1, with (IIRC) a
> Pentium II-266MHz, HD disconnected.  That is compared to my Athlon 2GHz

My P2 had about 4 PCI cards installed, so that might make the difference.

>  which will suck up as much as 150W if I run it full-tilt (I had the HD
> doing a lot of work, too).  I hadn't tried a thin client, since I don't
> own one, but the power usage figures that you're showing for those are
> impressive.
>
> I guess it comes down to a cost-benefit analysis of power saved over the
> expected remaining life of the old PC's whether you go w/ new thin
> clients or old PC's.

Don't forget that it can also come down to appearance!  I've found that
people are typically more impressed with a tiny thin client than an old
P2 acting as a thin client.  I guess for some people judging something
visually comes more naturally than judging by performance...

For one of my installations it came down to space constraints.  I needed
thins client that would mount on the back of an LCD monitor because
there was nowhere else to put them.

-Rob

incomplete, or contain viruses.
version.