[K12OSN] New SmartBoard and Edubuntu...I'm truly impressed!

Sonja Gonzalez sgonzalez at sau83.org
Fri Feb 8 15:19:06 UTC 2008

We have one SmartBoard and the teacher that uses it swears by it. The functionality is so much more than a white board, and the collaboration that she gets with her students is huge.

Dave, I applaud your success in getting these budgeted. I am not as successful so I'm looking at the Wiimote project. If you don't know what it is, here's a link:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/projects/wii/

Does anyone know if there's been any success at porting it to Linux? And has anyone compared its functionality to the SmartBoard's? I saw this YouTube video by a consultant

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BSDxc2kFjms

who assessed the difference but I don't know if he's tried all the extras that SmartBoard offers in the form of software and lesson plans.

I'm still having trouble getting the Wiimote to connect via bluetooth (to Windows) so I haven't actually gotten one working, but if I do, it promises an interactive whiteboard for about $50 (assuming you have the computer and projector already.)

Interested in any thoughts on this.

sonja

Sonja Gonzalez
Director of Technology