[K12OSN] Inexpensive Thin Client for Testing

Eric Brown ericbrow at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 16:49:26 UTC 2008

If you're really looking for cheap clients, get an older computer that
you think is worthless.  Ask around for some, I'm sure you'll find
them.  All you really need is a floppy or cd drive, it helps to have
at least 64MB of ram, video card (4-8 MB will do), network card, and a
processor that runs around 266Mhz or better.  Get the universal
netboot floppy (or cd), and boot.  You can even use existing computers
in conjunction with the netboot disk for testing purposes, just to
show how it all works.  When the demonstration is over, remove the
netboot disk, and everything is back to normal.

I wouldn't bother buying a thing until you decide this is the
direction you want to go.

Many of my clients meet the above description.  We did piece out a
bunch of dead machines and load 128 MB of ram for all my clients this
last fall, and they work great.

Good Luck,

Eric