[K12OSN] No one can log in! Advice please.

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sun Feb 10 02:08:01 UTC 2008

Each separate mount point will show up separately in mount and in df.
The NFS mount does not show in either output below.

If the 80GB drive has space, move the home directories over to it and
NFS mount them back to the main server (after verifying the move and
deleting the contents of /home).

If there are a tremendous number of tiny files (<4k) you may be out of
inodes and thus can't write to the drive for that reason. Each file
takes at least one inode. Loads of little 1, 2 and 3k files will consume
4k inodes with wasted space. Welcome to the world of low-level,
hard-core sysadmin stuff :)

try this:
find / -type f -size +20000k -exec ls -lh {} \; | awk '{ print $9 ": "
$5 }'

This find command will find all files larger than 20M and print the full
path and their size. It will truncate filenames with spaces in them but
will get you a starting point.

On Sat, 2008-02-09 at 20:27 -0500, Joseph Bishay wrote:
> Update!
>
> So it ends up that the lack of space is because the OS is including
> the hard drive space from the backup server that is mounted in /mnt!
>
> Situation:
> There is the main k12ltsp server.  37 GB drive.  There is an 80 GB
> drive in another fedora core 4 machine that is acting as a backup
> machine (every night it rsyncs, every week or so it does a
> mondoarchive and stores the ISOs).
>
> That backup machine is mounted via NFS to ther k12ltsp's /mnt
> directory.  'mount -l' shows:
>
> /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 on / type ext3 (rw)
> proc on /proc type proc (rw)
> sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
> devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
> /dev/sda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
> tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
> none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
> sunrpc on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)
> nfsd on /proc/fs/nfsd type nfsd (rw)
>
> the command to mount it is the last line in rc.local:
> mount k12backup:/k12backup /mnt/backup -o rsize=8192,wisze=8192
>
> 'df' shows:
>
> Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
>                       32566076  30912500         0 100% /
> /dev/sda1               101086     16532     79335  18% /boot
> tmpfs                  1037152         0   1037152   0% /dev/shm
>
> Is there a solution to this?  I didn't realize it considers mounted
> directories as part of the space and will prevent you from logging in.
>
> Thank you.

James P. Kinney III
CEO & Director of Engineering
Local Net Solutions,LLC