[K12OSN] Permissions question - shared folder

Mark Lindman mlindman at charter.net
Thu Feb 14 00:54:49 UTC 2008

Hi Brian,
Thanks  - that did it.  There is a still an element to this that I don't understand.  Files created with applications like OO and gimp have the right permissions RW for the owner and group.  Folders created with Nautilus have the right permissions.  BUT, files created by Nautilus (right-click in the folder and Create Document) do not have the right permissions. Here's an example:
[root at ltsp YearBookCentral]#
[root at ltsp YearBookCentral]# ls -laR test
test:
total 40
drwxrws---  3 lindmmb photostudents  4096 Feb 13 16:40 .
drwxrws--- 10 lindmmb photostudents  4096 Feb 12 15:15 ..
-rw-rw-r--  1 lindmmb photostudents 18052 Feb 13 16:26 CreagedByGimp.jpg
-rw-------  1 lindmmb photostudents     0 Feb 13 16:21 CreatedByNautilus.txt
-rw-rw-r--  1 lindmmb photostudents  7043 Feb 13 16:25 CreatedByOO.odt
drwxrwsr-x  2 lindmmb photostudents  4096 Feb 13 16:40 DirCreatedByNautilus

test/DirCreatedByNautilus:
total 8
drwxrwsr-x 2 lindmmb photostudents 4096 Feb 13 16:40 .
drwxrws--- 3 lindmmb photostudents 4096 Feb 13 16:40 ..
[root at ltsp YearBookCentral]#

Nautilus also has "no templates installed". Is this  a clue?  Why does Nautilus create files with different permissions, and how is this controlled?

Trying to get a clue,
Mark

---- Brian Chivers <brian at portsmouth-college.ac.uk> wrote:

=============
Mark Lindman wrote:
> I am having a frustrating time sorting out a file permissions issue on a
> K12LTSP Centos 5.0EL.
>
> The school has a photography class which is assembling images for the
> school year book. I created a folder /home/YearBookCentral to be a
> shared location for all the text and images.  They want to be able to
> share all files and sub-folders amongst the photography class. Any
> member of the class should be able to open/modify/rewrite any file
> within the folder and all sub-folders.
>
> I went back into the archives and searched for umask, and followed
> instructions in the thread
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/k12osn/2004-November/msg00603.html
>
> Here is what I've done:
> 1. Created group photostudents
> 2. mkdir /home/YearBookCentral
> 3. chgrp photostudents /home/YearBookCentral
> 4. chmod -R g+ws /home/YearBookCentral
> 5. To test the setup, I created user testps. I made testps a member of
> testps, and also member of photostudents. I logged on with testps, and
> confirmed that umask is 002.
>
>>From a command prompt, user testps can create files and folders
> in /home/YearBookCentral.  All the files and folders have testps as
> owner, and photostudents as group, and both have rw permissions.
>
>>From an application, or from the file browser, any files or folders have
> the user testps as owner, with rw, and the group photostudents with r
> (no w).
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Thanks for listening...
>
> --mark