[K12OSN] Permissions question - shared folder

Joe Korzeniewski jkorzeni at battle-creek.k12.mi.us
Thu Feb 14 18:29:28 UTC 2008

 For those of you who were playing with this and set something to mandatory without knowing how to un-mandatorize it, here is a tip: go to file and select New Mandatory Window to see all the settings you have made mandatory.

This is a very handy tool for locking down student desktops. I have resorted to writing a script that allows a teacher to just delete & recreate all student accounts when they come into the lab. (the student accounts are all numbered autologins and all work is saved to our netware server, so we can blow them away at will).

James P. Kinney III wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-02-14 at 09:19 +0100, Nils Breunese wrote:
>> James P. Kinney III wrote:
>>
>>> Of course the gconf-edit is a **per-user** mess that will need to be
>>> scripted and pushed to everyone. Why gnome even thinks the
>>> "registry" is
>>> a good idea... At least it is a text file and not binary mess.
>>
>> You can right-click settings in the gconf editor and make them the
>> default for all users or even mandatory if you want.
>
> Hmm. That seems like a security mess if a non-admin/root user can
> affect
> desktop settings for all users.

Of course only root can do that.

Nils Breunese.