[K12OSN] Making Centos 5.1-i386 K12LTSP compliant

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Thu Feb 14 19:25:37 UTC 2008

Nils Breunese wrote:
> Terrell Prudé Jr. wrote:
>
>> I haven't yet tried this, so YMMV.  Standard liability disclaimers
>> apply, so try this on a test box first.  Any ol' box with CentOS 5 on
>> it ought to do.
>>
>> Make the file /etc/yum.repos.d/k12ltsp.repo,  and put the following
>> in it:
>>
>> ---------- CUT HERE ------------
>> k12ltsp]
>> name=K12LTSP
>> mirrorlist=http://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/mirrors/k12ltsp-4.2EL-32bit
>> gpgkey=http://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/K12LTSP-GPG-KEY
>> enabled=1
>> gpgcheck=1
>>
>> ---------- CUT HERE ------------
>>
>> Permissions on this file are 644 on my system, with owner root:root.
>> Of course, 664 would be fine as well.  My intuition says that even
>> 600 should be fine.
>>
>> Then, try "yum update" and see how things go.  This is the same
>> process for adding the RPMForge repositories on CentOS 5, and thus,
>> I'd figure the same would apply to any other "3rd-party" repository
>> like the K12LTSP one.
>
> The 'yum update' should work, as all CentOS 5 packages are also in the
> K12LTSP 5EL repo, but it won't get you any LTSP bits. You probably
> neeed a bunch of packages with ltsp in the name, but I don't know if
> that should get you a working LTSP setup.
>
> Nils Breunese.

Ah, that's true.  Forgot about that.  The easiest way, I think, to do
this is to run system-config-packages ("Add/Remove Programs" if you're
in KDE or GNOME), and look for all the K12LTSP and LTSP stuff.  Add
those and install as normal.  You *might* have to run ltspadmin after
the installation, from the terminal window, as root (of course) to set
it up for your specific IP subnets.

--TP