[K12OSN] Network unreachable.

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Fri Feb 15 15:35:25 UTC 2008

This is beginning to sound like a module loading issue. Because you are
swapping out cards presumably with different drivers and certainly with
different MAC addresses, each change will require updating the
configuration of the devices.  I am unclear on what distro you are
running.

Second note. Modules get loaded in the order they are found in a file
called /etc/modules.conf (for current systems. Older systems
used /etc/conf.modules). However many motherboards try to power on
devices based on bus ID. That is typically done low number to high based
on slot location physically relative to the CPU location. So the top pci
slot is 0, the next one down is 1. But some boards do this in reverse
(high to low). So the removal of the second nic causes the first nic to
function properly which suggests the configuration of the second is out
of order, has the wrong MAC on both, or all of the above. The mii-tool
mentioned earlier will give you data on the interface specifics as well
as providing a means to adjust hardware settings (like full-duplex,
etc).
On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 09:38 -0500, Accessys at smart.net wrote:
> didn't take the battery out but this makes as much or more sense than
> everything else I tried,   part of it is that this happened once
> before and I switched this card in and it solved the problem...
> beginning to think every time I shut down I'll have to swap out the
> cards?!?!?!?!
>
> thanks you reassured me that I wasn't totally insane!
>
> Bob
>
> On Fri, 15 Feb 2008, Timothy Legge wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 11:09 PM, Accessys at smart.net <accessys at smart.net> wrote:
> > >
> > >  this is the part that bugs me.  it is fixed and I don't have a clue
> > >  what I did.  I took out the second ethernet card the one that formerly
> > >  was working. rebooted the computer and restarted the router and it is
> > >  working???
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > I put this out there every so often so it might help people other than
> > me.  I have seen two cases where an onboard NIC (Network Interface
> > card) stopped working.  In both cases the fix was the same.  Unplug
> > all sources of power from the PC, remove the battery and wait server
> > minutes.
> >
> > The second time I saw it no one believed it was the issue but I asked
> > them to humour me.  They were somewhat surprised (as I was the first
> > time it worked for me)...
> >
> > Tim

> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> occasionally a true patriot must defend his country from its' government
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> safety deserve Neither liberty nor safety",    Benjamin Franklin
> -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -
>    ASCII Ribbon Campaign. . . . . . . . . . . . accessBob
>    .NO HTML/PDF/RTF/MIME in e-mail. . . . . . . accessys at smartnospam.net
>    .NO MSWord docs in e-mail . . . .. . . . . . Access Systems, engineers
>    .NO attachments in e-mail, .*LINUX powered*. access is a civil right

James P. Kinney III
CEO & Director of Engineering
Local Net Solutions,LLC
770-493-8244