Re: [K12OSN] Looking for wisdom of the masses

Doug Simpson wrote:
Just let them use vncviewer and connect that way. . . Works for me. . .

They'll have to come in through the public IP unless they are inside. . .

Doug

VNC passes session traffic "in the clear" (without encryption). While you can tunnel VNC in SSH, it is clumsy to set up and not very efficient.

NX/freenx uses SSH for transport (strong encryption) and is uses bandwidth more efficiently as well, using aggressive compresstion and caching to make the sesstion more responsive.

Opening (port forwarding) the SSH service to the Internet can be a security problem. If possible I would restrict which users can use SSH and make sure those users have "good" passwords; not vulnerable to dictionary attacks. Also make sure that SSH is up-to-date and keep it that way, plus turn off VNC version 1 capability.

"Alan Hodson" <aahodson episd org> 01/31/08 1:33 PM >>>
Salutations

At a school where I just installed a new server (Centos5-64B AMD Dell) for 30 thin clients, teachers are wanting to log into the system from their own laptops. The district is behind a firewall and the server's eth1 has a static IP: 10.x.x.x - what is the easiest way of allowing them to log in as thin clients from areas away from the lab? VLans are not viable, and their laptops are running XP. I should be able to burn a cd with enough info/resources for them to log in, no? DSL?
All suggestions welcomed

Alan Hodson
El Paso ISD, TX
-=o=-

Alan A Hodson MEd.
oF: 915-887-6871
fX: 915-779-4100
aahodson episd org
http://links.episd.org/
http://tinyurl.com/3e4sh8

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
but by the moments that take our breath away
-=o=-