Re: [K12OSN] No one can log in! Advice please.

Op 4 feb 2008, om 19:53 heeft Joseph Bishay het volgende geschreven:

Hello,

Be sure to run yum clean all to dump the update cache.

Done - made negligible impact (df still reports 100% used)

If the error message is claiming a full /home dir (which is why users
can't log in), so someone hosed the home dir by filling it up.

for user in `ls -1 /home`
do
echo "$user `du -ks $user`"
done

will print a list of the space used by user in the /home folder.

Thank you for that. I am not very good with such scripts so I used du
--max-depth=1 -h in /home to give me the listing for everyone.  The
biggest user we have is using 400 MB.  You are right that 37 GB is
small nowadays.  When we originally purchased the drives (37x2 SCSI
drives in a hardware RAID mirror configuration) it was the most we
could afford.  However, we only have 12 computers, and a total
userbase of 25 students, so it has been more that sufficient for
several years.  I also backup and wipe it at the end of every school
year for a fresh install.

Are there any other possibilities?

Just start at the root of the filesystem and run a du command to list the largest dirs. cd into the large dirs that you want to check out and repeat until you find something abnormal. You could use something like 'du --max-depth=1 | sort --reverse --numeric-sort | head' to generate a listing of the top 10 most space-consuming directories.

A small example:

# cd /
# du --max-depth=1 --exclude=. | sort -r -n | head
16260343        .
13656262        ./var
1241192 ./usr
925626  ./proc
232868  ./root
81944   ./lib
51096   ./opt
27536   ./tmp
16428   ./sbin
15332   ./etc
(./var is the largest, so first we check there...)
# cd var
# du --max-depth=1 | sort -r -n | head

Etcetera.

Nils Breunese.