[K12OSN] No one can log in! Advice please.

Nils Breunese nils at breun.nl
Mon Feb 4 19:28:45 UTC 2008

Op 4 feb 2008, om 19:53 heeft Joseph Bishay het volgende geschreven:

> Hello,
>
>> Be sure to run yum clean all to dump the update cache.
>
> Done - made negligible impact (df still reports 100% used)
>
>> If the error message is claiming  a full /home dir (which is why
>> users
>> can't log in), so someone hosed the home dir by filling it up.
>>
>> for user in `ls -1 /home`
>> do
>> echo "$user `du -ks $user`"
>> done
>>
>> will print a list of the space used by user in the /home folder.
>
> Thank you for that. I am not very good with such scripts so I used du
> --max-depth=1 -h in /home to give me the listing for everyone.  The
> biggest user we have is using 400 MB.  You are right that 37 GB is
> small nowadays.  When we originally purchased the drives (37x2 SCSI
> drives in a hardware RAID mirror configuration) it was the most we
> could afford.  However, we only have 12 computers, and a total
> userbase of 25 students, so it has been more that sufficient for
> several years.  I also backup and wipe it at the end of every school
> year for a fresh install.
>
> Are there any other possibilities?

Just start at the root of the filesystem and run a du command to list
the largest dirs. cd into the large dirs that you want to check out
and repeat until you find something abnormal. You could use something
like 'du --max-depth=1 | sort --reverse --numeric-sort | head' to
generate a listing of the top 10 most space-consuming directories.

A small example:

# cd /
# du --max-depth=1 --exclude=. | sort -r -n | head
16260343        .
13656262        ./var
1241192 ./usr
925626  ./proc
232868  ./root
81944   ./lib
51096   ./opt
27536   ./tmp
16428   ./sbin
15332   ./etc
(./var is the largest, so first we check there...)
# cd var
# du --max-depth=1 | sort -r -n | head

Etcetera.

Nils Breunese.