Re: [K12OSN] Setting up Writer and Shared docs

John Montoya wrote:

Second:
The same lab teacher purchased a teaching manual for OpenOffice. The
book has assignments that students are to complete. There are
corresponding documents that you are able to download from this
company (which we have).
So another similar "file sharing" issue. I have one set of assignment
files, that need to be distributed to each student's workstation for
completion. So do I have to copy the folder 30 times to each home
directory? (I can't imagine so....<smile>).

Create a directory that is readable by all students.

... and one more little thing-

I noticed that when you lock the server (ie: log out as what ever user
you were) it takes you back to a Fedora login screen (which is good -
for all intent, the server is locked) - but I also noticed at the
bottom of the screen, "Language / Session / Restart / Shut Down" - I
thought... those functions couldn't possibly be usable... ummmmm - I
was wrong, they are. <smile> - So I'm guessing it's only a matter of
time before one of the students is messing around at the teachers desk
(where the server lives) - and just shuts down the server. Is there a
way to disable all these functions - or a way to really lock the
server (after you log out)??

I believe you can change this in the login configuration, but I don't have a FC6 machine handy, so I can't tell you what the exact menu item is called. It's probably somewhere in the Administration section. You can also open up a terminal and run 'gdmsetup'.

Or if you're comfortable in a terminal, just make sure you set 'SystemMenu = false' in the [greeter] section of /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf (this is the same as running gdmsetup and changing the option there).

Also check out chapter 4 'Locking Down the Desktop: Disabling GNOME Desktop Features' of the Red Hat Desktop Deployment Guide for some more ideas: http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/desktop-guide/

Of course, if the server is physically in the class room a student can always just unplug the power cord. :o)

Nils Breunese.