Re: [K12OSN] New SmartBoard and Edubuntu...I'm truly impressed!

SmartTechnologies I can't say enough good stuff about...
they don't just sell you an "interactive whiteboard" and say thanks...now pay us up the wazoooo for software and all these trinkets... they GIVE you the software and I would argue it is INFINITELY(not an overstatement at all) better than ANYTHING Microsoft could GIVE AWAY(other than maybe their IP treasure trovel that they horde to stifle innovation [/end rant])

I have MATH teachers, ENGLISH teachers, SPANISH teachers, HEALTH & P.E. teachers and COACHES excited about all of the stuff they can do with the SOFTWARE(not just the board...as the board is merely a peripheral to the computer like a keyboard & mouse)...but the SOFTWARE really is amazing and the #1 focus is education...

The mere fact that they support Linux(something I and likely many others encouraged them to do since I got MY 1st Smartboard back when I taught 6yrs ago) Macs and MS platforms to the same degree and level of excellence really tells me, yes they need to make a profit, but they actually CARE about their users and those they are affecting with education on a daily basis.

--Huck

David Trask wrote:
Recently I was able to purchase an interactive whiteboard called a
“SmartBoard” for our school.  I have several more in the budget for next
year, but this one gives us an opportunity to learn more about how to use
one.  I was excited to find out when I ordered it that it would be
compatible with Linux, but I had my doubts.  Often times manufacturers
make claims to be compatible with Linux, but generally with a loss of
features or a very difficult installation.  I was a little nervous when I
stuck in the CD to the drive on my Edubuntu desktop….and I couldn’t get
the installer to execute.  So…I went to the web site and downloaded the
installer from there.  The installer was a breeze to work with!  It’s an
autopackage that simply asked me a couple yes or no questions…and then
VOILA!  That was it!  Suddenly the SmartBoard software launched and we
were in business!  The total install time took less than 2 minutes!  Guess
what else?  Everything works!  Every feature from the notebook software to
the screen captures and more!  I’m truly impressed!  The folks at
Smarttech have really taken a look at the future of Linux and FOSS in
Education.  Today was simply my first day…all I got a chance to do was put
it together, load the software and play around a little.  I’m finding
myself a bit excited to get to school tomorrow so I can really try things
out.  Just in the few chances I got to try it out today, I can really see
how it will totally change the way I teach!  I’m psyched!

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Director
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask vcsvikings org