[K12OSN] New SmartBoard and Edubuntu...I'm truly impressed!

Paul Welte pwelte at nashville-k12.org
Fri Feb 8 14:51:52 UTC 2008

If the SmartBoard is simply being used as the display surface for a
projector, then I agree with your comments. However, the Smartboard
provides soooo much more. There is an unlimited number of ways to use a
SmartBoard to foster a sense of enthusiasm and engagement that does not
normally occur. The Smarttech website has an entire area devoted to
creating lesson plans and projects.

When used properly, especially at the grade school level, a SmartBoard
system provides a huge level of engagement with a small amount of
order/distraction. A group of students gathered around a SmartBoard and
actively identifying the subject matter by pointing to and touching the
board has increased participation and excitement with the subject
material. When used properly, these devices foster at least the same
amount of active participation as a thin client and they don't require
as much support or space.