Re: [K12OSN] State of K12LTSP?

Chris Thomas wrote:
With FC 9 Alpha released the other day, I was interested in the new
features that are going to be in FC9. On the Fedora Wiki,
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/9/FeatureList , there is a
list of features planned on being included in FC9. K12LTSP is on that
list, http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/K12Linux . Does that
mean that there will be no more K12LTSP releases and that all K12LTSP
development will be done in Fedora?

Chris

The concepts and technologies that make K12LTSP special are indeed slowly but surely being integrated into RedHat/Fedora, and many other distributions as well.

We have spent the last couple of years working really hard on this. Chris, I see in the K12LTSP list archives that about two years ago you posted a link to this article:

 http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/05/12/03/1759224.shtml?tid=146&tid=106

This article refers to Edubuntu as a "fork" of Ubuntu. I, and others from the LTSP/K12LTSP community, help design Edubuntu. In the free software world, competition is a good thing and it often well worth one's time to invest in one's competitors.

At the last ubuntu developers summit I attended in Boston, it was decided that Edubuntu as a stand-alone distribution would be no more. It would be absorbed back into the main Ubuntu code base.

Like-wise, K12LTSP has until now been a "fork" of RedHat/Fedora. In the same manner, we have been working on absorbing it back into the main Fedora code base. Each and every release has been less-and-less of a "fork".

This is great news!

-Eric