Re: [K12OSN] State of K12LTSP?

This sounds like a good thing for the community.  It will mean more rapid access to the latest releases as we won't have to wait on final code of the next release for work to begin in the K12LSTP.

My only concern is the "Contingency Plan."
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/K12Linux

But with the assistance you are giving it shouldn't be to big of a problem for them to handle.

Thanks for all your work on this...

Mel

On 2/10/08, Eric Harrison <eharrison mail mesd k12 or us> wrote:
Chris Thomas wrote:
> With FC 9 Alpha released the other day, I was interested in the new
> features that are going to be in FC9. On the Fedora Wiki,
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/9/FeatureList , there is a
> list of features planned on being included in FC9. K12LTSP is on that
> list, http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/K12Linux . Does that
> mean that there will be no more K12LTSP releases and that all K12LTSP
> development will be done in Fedora?
>
> Chris

The concepts and technologies that make K12LTSP special are indeed
slowly but surely being integrated into RedHat/Fedora, and many other
distributions as well.

We have spent the last couple of years working really hard on this.
Chris, I see in the K12LTSP list archives that about two years ago you
posted a link to this article:

  http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/05/12/03/1759224.shtml?tid=146&tid=106

This article refers to Edubuntu as a "fork" of Ubuntu. I, and others
from the LTSP/K12LTSP community, help design Edubuntu. In the free
software world, competition is a good thing and it often well worth
one's time to invest in one's competitors.

At the last ubuntu developers summit I attended in Boston, it was
decided that Edubuntu as a stand-alone distribution would be no more. It
would be absorbed back into the main Ubuntu code base.

Like-wise, K12LTSP has until now been a "fork" of RedHat/Fedora. In the
same manner, we have been working on absorbing it back into the main
Fedora code base. Each and every release has been less-and-less of a "fork".

This is great news!

-Eric