Re: [K12OSN] Network unreachable.

Accessys smart net wrote:
this is the part that bugs me.  it is fixed and I don't have a clue
what I did.  I took out the second ethernet card the one that formerly
was working. rebooted the computer and restarted the router and it is
working???

you see I'm not really a newbie at this, been running linux personally
since Red Hat 6 or so about 8 years.  I have every one of the books
you mention and spent at least a day on google, blackle, and yahoo not
to mention a couple linux forums before I scream for help

what bugs the dickens out of me is when the problem is intermittent
and I can't figure out why.    Networking is new, not Linux. and I
know I have personally given out or set up 100's of systems.

The problem seems to be, as you say, your unfamiliarity with networking rather than *any* operating system. The best intro text on TCP/IP IMHO is volume I (don't bother with the other volumes, they are more for developers) of Doug Comer's "Internetworking with TCP/IP". Highly recommended; I have had every edition since the first and it gets updated regularly as new standards come out. With a good understanding of networking, you can develop your own diagnostic tests for use with *any* operating system.

                        - Mark Twain

| John Lucas                MrJohnLucas gmail com               |
| St. Thomas, VI 00802      http://mrjohnlucas.googlepages.com/ |
| 18.3°N, 65°W              AST (UTC-4)                         |