[K12OSN] OT: history

Guy-Michel Lessard GLessard at cegepoutaouais.qc.ca
Mon Feb 18 16:32:16 UTC 2008

I did get my hands on Fortran on punched card early at the college (time shared mainframe somewhere), thank God it was only a semester.
Then i got to use a real computer, a PDP-8 with Octal words, a single row of dip switches and the load key at the end.
Still remember, 32 words to load the bootstrap loader forthe paper tape reader, the paper tape was punched out by the teletype.
The professor hooked up two D/A convertors (it looked hand made) on the PDP-8 to shoot on a CRT tube (oscilloscope) and we had to create a program to write our first name on the CRT.
I was lucky, my first name is Guy, only 3 lettres to program, poor Alexander!

Guy Lessard
Professeur CÉGEP de l'Outaouais
Gatineau, Québec
Canada