Re: [K12OSN] OT: what do you use to schedule you schools bells

Here's a list of some GUIs for cron. I've never used any, so I can't comment on them, but they may be useful to you.

http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/cronweb.htm

-Rob

Krsnendu dasa wrote:
We are planning to use webmin to set up cron jobs to play a song at certain times of the day with speakers pointing out to the playground. The idea is if the song finishes and you are not in class then you are late.

I am not sure how easy it will be for teachers to change. It wouldn't be good to let them have access to everything that webmin does. I wonder if there is a way to limit access by user to only the function you want.

On 19/02/2008, *Sam Snow* <snowsam laurel-point net <mailto:snowsam laurel-point net>> wrote:

     > Message: 6
     > Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 09:52:57 -0600
     > From: Timothy C Litwiller <tim litwiller net
    <mailto:tim litwiller net>>
     > Subject: [K12OSN] OT:  what do you use to schedule you schools bells
     > To: k12osn redhat com <mailto:k12osn redhat com>
     >
     > I need to find something "free" or very low cost to run the bells
    at our
     > 28 student private school. I think I have found a relay switch that I
     > can control with usb and wire into the bell circuit along with
    the the
     > push button.
     >
> But I need some software that the teachers can use to schedule. I can
     > setup the default - but some times things get changed around for
    a few
     > days and I don't want to have to be there for every change.

    Tim,

    I looked at the same thing a few years ago and ended up buying a
    dedicated clock unit that was designed to trigger bells. It seemed a lot
    simpler than something I put together that involved running a computer.

    Here is one example of several that American Time and Signal sells:
    http://www.atsclock.com/catalog?action=gotoProductDetails&id=274
    <http://www.atsclock.com/catalog?action=gotoProductDetails&id=274>
    And here another from Lathem Time: http://www.lathem.com/sona.shtml

    When I did this, I was able to find a unit on ebay for a reasonable
    price.

    Good Luck!
    Sam