Re: [K12OSN] [K12LTSP] Problems with Sound

Message: 6
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 10:19:54 -0500
From: "Joe Korzeniewski" <jkorzeni battle-creek k12 mi us>
Subject: Re: [K12OSN] [K12LTSP] Problems with Sound
To: <k12osn redhat com>

Devry,

That message means that your sound card is not detected. If you are using an ISA sound card, you will need to specify the SMODULE_01 lines in lts.conf (they are commented).

-Joe
"Devry Lin" <devrylin thesageinblack gmail com> 02/18/08 8:17 PM >>>
Hi, Thanks for all the help last time and now I am writing this on a client
machine..
There has been tests on this lab.. and sound is missing from the clients..

I boot the client and login with an account that uses KDE.. when it starts
it shows up this:

Sound server information message:
Error while initilizing the sound server:
device /dev/dsp can't be opened (permission denied)
The sound driver will continue, using the null output device.

and there was nothing to be heard from the clients... Tried the internet..
didn't help me too much.

What should I look for to fix this?

Devry Lin

I always do a 'chmod 777 /dev/dsp' and then a 'chmod 777 /dev/mixer' when I get that message. Seems to get sound working. You might want to do 664 or something less drastic if you're into security. (I'm running K12LTSP at home for my family, behind a firewall, so it doesn't get hit that hard.)

ck