[K12OSN] Terminal Sound Problems

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Jan 3 21:51:48 UTC 2008

You are _so_ close!

That error means the individual applications are still trying to talk to
a local device (local to the server). Things like mplayer need to be
told to use ESD. Edit files in /etc/mplayre/mplayer.conf
and /etc/mplayerplugin.conf and set the ao device to esd for both. (ao
is "audio output").

Somewhere in gconf is a setting to make the default audio device esd. If
that is done for a default user then copied to /etc/skel, all new users
get it. Old users can get it updated with some script-fu magic (although
gconf stuff is pretty ugly in places).