[K12OSN] (SOLVED) 4GB memory limit?

Shawn Powers spowers at inlandlakes.org
Fri Jan 4 14:18:34 UTC 2008

This morning, things are going quite swimmingly.  Here are the things
I've changed, I'm not sure if one or several things were the "Magic
Bullet."  But things are working nicely now.

* Updated Firefox to the latest tar.gz from mozilla.  Not the beta of
v3, but the latest stable version 2.  I just put it in /usr/local and
symlinked /usr/bin/firefox to that.

* Tweaked the snot out of my NFS server.  We had chaos yesterday
morning, on more than just the thin clients, because our ISP switched
their DNS server address.  I switched all our other servers, but
failed to switch over the file server, and as it hung on DNS, it
wouldn't allow NFS clients to connect. This messed up both the thin
clients, AND the OSX machines.  I also upped the number of NFS
daemons running from 8 to 16, and increased the memory sizes (via the
nfs performance tweaking site).

* I also removed the pretty background image from KDM.  I doubt it
had much to do with the problem, but it seemed superfluous, so I
switched it to a patterned background.

So far, things are working great.  Firefox loads fairly quickly, and
everything else works about like I'd expect it to.  There are a few
straggling thin clients with goofy hardware that I need to tweak in
my lts.conf, but other than that, I think we're all set.

Also, I didn't upgrade (cross grade?) to 5EL, because quite frankly,
I wanted to sleep a little last night.  :)  As long as FC6 gets us
through the school year, I'm a  happy camper.

Thanks for all the help!
-Shawn, who will need to write a followup article at Linux Journal as
well...