[K12OSN] lbussd CPU usage?

Jim McQuillan jam at mcquil.com
Thu Jan 10 14:59:13 UTC 2008

Shawn,

lbussd really shouldn't be using any measurable amount of cpu when
things are idle.

Once lbussd starts up and gets initialized, it goes into a loop where
it's waiting on data coming over the network from the workstation.  It's
using a select() call, so it shouldn't be using any resources at all.

It has a timeout on the select call of 5 seconds.  That's just so that
every 5 seconds it can check to see if the users session is still alive.
Even then, it's doing such a small amount of work, that I don't think
you'd see it show up in top or any other measurement tool.

If lbussd is chewing up cpu time, like you've mentioned, then I'd
suspect that there's traffic on the network, coming from the client.

lbussd uses port 9202.  I'd try running tcpdump and watch that port, to
see if there's some traffic.  It would be perfectly normal to see some
packets when you plug a device into the client, or when you access data
on a floppy or cdrom.  Other than that, there shouldn't be any traffic
at all.

Pick one of the clients to study, and do this:

     tcpdump -i ethX host wsXXX and port 9202

Substitute the correct value for ethX and wsXXX.

Then, sit back and watch the screen.  see if there's activity.

If there is, and you can't decipher what is going on, then try tcpdump
again, but this time capture the packets, so we can look at them with
wireshark.

     tcpdump -i ethX -s0 -w /tmp/tcpdump.out host wsXXX and port 9202

Let that run for several minutes, then kill it with Ctrl-C.  Then,
send me the /tmp/tcpdump.out file (as an attachment).

Jim McQuillan
jam at Ltsp.org