[K12OSN] Some clients get Gray X Screen

Amy Contreras acontreras at walkerville.k12.mi.us
Thu Jan 10 21:57:34 UTC 2008

Ever since I've changed the XSERVER to VESA in the lts.conf file I've
been able to get most of my Dell GX100 clients to work.  Although I
still have a few that get the gray screen with an X cursor.  I can't
quite figure it out as the specs appear to be the same.  I have a
similar issue with our Dell Dimension v400c models in that I have at
least one that boots normally and the rest get the gray screen.  I've
tried tweaking the xorg.conf file a bit as mentioned in some of my
google searches but no luck thus far.  I've included some specs for each
model.  I'd appreciate any help I can get.  Thanks.

GX100 - Intel Celeron 500MHz, at least 64M RAM, Intel 82810-DC100
onboard video

Dimen V400c - Intel Celeron 400MHz, at least 64M RAM, ATI 3D Rage Pro
onboard video

Amy Contreras

Technical Services Manager

Walkerville Public Schools