[K12OSN] Ongoing printing problems k12ltsp V8

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Mon Jan 21 07:59:04 UTC 2008

Sudev Barar wrote:
> On 20/01/2008, "Terrell Prudé Jr." <microman at cmosnetworks.com> wrote:
>

>>  It's this neat little $45 device that plugs right into the parallel port
>> and speaks not just HP JetDirect-ese, but apparently also IPP and LPR (and a
>> few other languages).  I used its "HP JetDirect" mode, which is called
>>
> [SNIP]
>
> But this would mean running network cables in parallel for all the
> network printers?

Sure, we run network cables anyway for computers, so it's just like
that.  This way, you're far less limited in where you can physically put
a printer.  That is, you're not limited by the length of a USB or LPT cable.

Perhaps you're thinking that you'd have to run *both* a Cat 5 cable and
an LPT cable?  If so, then the answer is no, you don't.  You can think
of this as a much more brainy sort of "media converter" that turns a
printer's traditional Centronics parallel interface into a Cat 5 network
jack that speaks TCP/IP.

--TP