[K12OSN] teaching kids sys admin with VM's

Rob Owens rob.owens at biochemfluidics.com
Mon Jan 21 12:17:00 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Rob Owens wrote:
>>> If I was only going to allow ssh access I would probably use OpenVZ.
>>>
>> I didn't mean necessarily to only allow ssh.  I just meant that to
>> administer their virtual machine, they would need to connect remotely
>> since they cannot run the virtual machine directly.
>
> You can run NX/freenx over ssh if that's all you want to permit in.
> However I think in the previous post you suggested a separate bridged
> ethernet for each users.  On the host side you can only set up bridging
> to physical interfaces.  If you wanted to be restrictive, though you
> could configure host-only networking with a strictly virtual subnet and
> let the host do routing and firewalling.

I guess I was assuming this would be a separate box, firewalled from the
LTSP network.  You could then set up multiple bridges on a single
physical network interface on the VM server.  Maybe I'm not using the
correct terminology there.  I've got 6 "tap" interfaces working off of a
single physical interface on my VM server.  tap0, tap1, etc.

-Rob

incomplete, or contain viruses.
version.