[K12OSN] Users' Maildir directories

Rob Owens rob.owens at biochemfluidics.com
Tue Jan 22 20:24:55 UTC 2008

I briefly looked into this on a Debian system I was playing around with.
  It uses exim4 instead of postfix.  I couldn't find a setting in exim4
to allow a different location for the Maildir folder, but I'm a novice
in that area so I might have missed it.  So first make sure that Postfix
will let you specify an alternate location, and then consider whether
the user's mail should go in their home directory at all.  Maybe it
should be put in /var/mail or some other location where it's less likely
to be deleted--that was my goal.

-Rob

Michael Blinn wrote:
> I've had an issue with users trying to "clean out" their home
> directories and they inadvertantly remove postfix/dovecot's Maildir
> directory containing all their email. Does anyone know of any downsides
> to changing this to .Maildir to prevent this from happening in the
> future? Or perhaps are there other methods of fixing the problem?
> Cheers,
>   -Michael

incomplete, or contain viruses.
version.