[K12OSN] Server specs

Sudev Barar sbarar at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 02:32:10 UTC 2008

On 22/01/2008, Ronnie Miller <rmiller at seminole.k12.ga.us> wrote:
> I need a little help from those better informed than I. I've got a lab of
> 28 terminals that is running on the Centos5 based LTSP. It's runs fairly
> well, but there are speed issues with programs not loading quick enough
> (mostly Firefox), which results in the kids clicking the programs multiple
[SNIP]
> Am I right in assuming that it's not a memory issue as much as it is a
> processor issue? In other words, won't I be a lot better off with either
> multiple processors or a dual-core type processor?

I am not in a school situation but if would be pointless if the
multiple clicks are not avoided even with faster server+multiple CPU's
there are times when lag will occur when many users will start an
application together.
Better is to group UID's in a range and then make a script that
restricts number of program instances based on UID. This way you can
have people in certain UID range - say teachers - launch multiple
instances while restricting the others.

--
Regards,
Sudev Barar