[K12OSN] Users' Maildir directories

Rob Owens rob.owens at biochemfluidics.com
Wed Jan 23 12:08:33 UTC 2008

I wonder if it would be possible to change ownership and permissions of
the Maildir folder so that only the mail system user can write to it.
That way you could leave it in /home without worrying about it getting
deleted by accident.  If I have some time to experiment on this, I'll
post back.

-Rob

Michael Blinn wrote:
> Thanks Rob - I'm already sure postfix and dovecot _can_ it, and procmail
> certainly can filter my spam into a Junk folder no matter the location.
> I'm just wondering if there are downsides before I make the switch, or
> alternatives. I suppose putting email in /var would work also.
> Cheers,
> -Michael
>
> Rob Owens wrote:
>> I briefly looked into this on a Debian system I was playing around
>> with.  It uses exim4 instead of postfix.  I couldn't find a setting in
>> exim4 to allow a different location for the Maildir folder, but I'm a
>> novice in that area so I might have missed it.  So first make sure
>> that Postfix will let you specify an alternate location, and then
>> consider whether the user's mail should go in their home directory at
>> all.  Maybe it should be put in /var/mail or some other location where
>> it's less likely to be deleted--that was my goal.
>>
>> -Rob

incomplete, or contain viruses.
version.