[K12OSN] Morley's Great K12LTSP labs - update

Nils Breunese nils at breun.nl
Fri Jan 25 18:15:24 UTC 2008

Rob Owens wrote:

> I've never used the Fedora versions for any amount of time.  But I
> am currently using K12LTSP 5.0EL (based on CentOS) and it's pretty
> nice.  I have limited use for sound, so I can't comment on its
> suitability there.  I'm using it because I want to install it and
> forget about it.  Support for this distro will probably outlast my
> hardware.
>
> The only complaint I really have about this distro is it uses
> Firefox 1.5.  I wish there was somebody out there maintaining newer
> packages for this distro (with the understanding that I would be
> taking the risk for installing a "non-standard" package).

I don't know if there is a repository that provides Firefox 2. I've
never looked around for it as I wouldn't know what it would offer me
over Firefox 1.5. Are you missing any particular features?

> A newer package for OpenOffice would be nice, too, but not
> necessary.  I think it's currently using 2.0.something.

Someone on the list recently mentioned that installing the latest rpm
version from the OpenOffice.org website works just fine. Version 2.3
is available there for both rpm and deb based distributions.

Nils Breunese.