[K12OSN] Morley's Great K12LTSP labs - update

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Sun Jan 27 00:04:04 UTC 2008

_______________________________
Do you GNU <http://www.gnu.org>?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.cmosnetworks.com>--the ultimate
antivirus protection!

Robert Arkiletian wrote:
> On Jan 26, 2008 5:33 AM, Peter Scheie <peter at scheie.homedns.org> wrote:
>
>> Agreed, proprietary formats are bad.  How many people recall email 20 years ago,
>> where business cards had three or four email addresses on them, for Sprint,
>> CompuServe, et al, because none of the systems talked to each other?  Nowadays
>> no one would even consider a closed email system.  Audio and video need to be
>> likewise.
>>

> There are simply too many problems posted on this list due to Flash.
> It's the only closed piece of software that everyone wants. I'm hoping
> Gnash will solve this dependence soon.
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnash-dev/2008-01/msg00024.html

<SOAPBOX>

For that, you can thank careless teachers and their administrators for
buying software and signing contracts without talking with their tech
folks (i. e. folks like us) *BEFOREHAND*.  For all their Ph.D's and
Masters' degrees that they prance around with, you'd think they'd be
smart enough to consult with us before dropping the cash.

That's also how you're getting dependency on United Streaming with their
damned .WMV love affair.  Same for Standards of Learning (SOL) online
testing that requires QuickTime.  Same for the IE-only "web browser"
applications.

No, not *all* teachers/administrators are that way.  But too many are.

</SOAPBOX>

--TP