[K12OSN] Morley's Great K12LTSP labs - update

Nils Breunese nils at breun.nl
Sun Jan 27 15:43:03 UTC 2008

Tom Wolfe wrote:

> OK that settles the question of whether to go 5.0 EL or not -- if I
> have to struggle another nanosecond with getting flash to work with
> 64-bit I don't want anything to do with it. I'd rather run the risk
> of being hacked and cracked, and that's the truth. Although I side
> with the philosophical arguments, my teachers demand flash with
> sound as their #1 priority, way above Office compatibility for
> example.
>
> WRT disadvantages of Edubuntu -- the disadvantages for me anyhow
> were numerous. Getting flash to work with 64-bit operating system
> proved a futile exercise, and I ran into all kinds of little
> glitches along the way. I won't go into details. That said it's got
> great curb appeal, and I hope that their spring 2008 version has
> more promise because it could be worth another look.

If only Adobe would just be capable of creating a 64-bit version of
their Flash Player...

Nils Breunese.

P.S.1. We run a K12LTSP 5EL server with 64-bit Firefox and
nspluginwrapper to be able to use the 32-bit Flash Player. That works
fine, but I don't know about sound (and whether the whole 64-bit
versus 32-bit thing has anything to do with it).
P.S.2. Others just install Firefox 32-bit on their 64-bit OS and that
apparently works just fine as well. Don't know if that helps with
sound though.
P.S.3. Apparently Opera 9.5 will support running the 32-bit Flash
Player plugin under the 64-bit version of Opera out-of-the-box.