[K12OSN] Need help integrating LTSP Server into school network

Eric Brown ericbrow at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 12:58:38 UTC 2008

Devry,

I first want to commend you on this project.  It's well worth your while.

I'm afraid you're IT Technician isn't very familiar with Linux.  The
DHCP and DNS for the thin clients stays on the inside of the network,
and doesn't go out the external network port.

You can test this much the way I did.  While not connected to the
external network, make sure you are going to check the correct network
port by starting a thin client from the internal network port.  That
makes sure you're going to test the external port.  Then, try to boot
another thin client from the external port, it shouldn't work.  Set a
regular computer, such as a windows machine, or another linux machine
to use DHCP for it's network settings, and see if it will pull an IP
address.  If you're using a windows machine, you should get an IP
address that starts with 169, which means that windows assigned itself
an IP address, and didn't get one from the external port of the LTSP
server.

I ran into similar arguments.  I was told to wait till they could get
to me.  I tested mine in this way, and went ahead and plugged into the
school's network (although I'm a teacher, and not a student).  It had
been up and running about a week and a half by the time they decided
they could get to me, only to find it had been running with no
problems.

Good luck.

Eric