[K12OSN] Need help integrating LTSP Server into school network

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Tue Jan 29 16:11:36 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 09:13:13AM -0600, pstech at insightbb.com wrote:
> Devry,
>
> You should have a dual network card setup on your LTSP server, and
> what I would recommend that you do is to set up the second NIC to
> use DHCP and plug it into the school network. It should pick up an
> IP address/subnet mask, default gateway, and DNS server info. After
> doing this, try to access the internet from the server. You may find
> that your issue is resolved.

Can someone fill in the steps here?  I'm using Edubuntu so my
configuration is likely different.

My *Edubuntu* server uses eth1 for connecting to the local LAN and
uses dhcpd.  So in my /etc/network/interfaces I have:

    auto eth1

And then on Ubuntu NetworkManager handles connecting via dhcp client.

On Debian I have:

    auto eth1
    iface eth1 inet dhcp

My eth0 is what connects to my switch and to the clients.

    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.0.254
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 192.168.0.0
        broadcast 192.168.0.255
        # Enable NAT for non-thin clients.
        up iptables-restore < /etc/ltsp/nat.conf

Now, since I'm running dhcpd on the LTSP server I only want it to
listen on eth0, not eth1 which would conflict with the LAN's dhcpd.

On Ubuntu in /etc/default/dhcp3-server I have:

    INTERFACES="eth0"

And finally, to allow the ltsp clients (or any computer that connects
to the ltsp switch) to use access the LAN (and thus the Internet) I
have have /etc/ltsp/nat.conf:

    # Generated by iptables-save v1.3.6 on Sun Nov  4 10:38:59 2007
    *nat
    :PREROUTING ACCEPT [5:565]
    :POSTROUTING ACCEPT [2:504]
    :OUTPUT ACCEPT [2:504]
    -A POSTROUTING -s 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 -j MASQUERADE
    COMMIT
    # Completed on Sun Nov  4 10:38:59 2007

> As an alternative, you can give the NIC card a static address
> assuming that you get the proper IP address/default gateway/DNS
> server info from your IT person.

Which would be similar to the "static" setting above.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org