[K12OSN] OT: Break-In report

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Wed Jan 2 17:22:32 UTC 2008

Craig White wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-01-02 at 10:49 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
>
>> Michael Blinn wrote:
>>
>>>  Not true. I use and recommend the package 'denyhosts' - Nice little
>>> python script that daemonizes to periodically check /var/log/secure,
>>> adding IPs from brute-force attackers to /etc/hosts.deny, then emails me
>>> its actions. You can also set an auto-expire time for those blocks. I
>>> love it.
>>>
>> Which distribution includes that package?
>>
> ----
> RHEL/CentOS (via rpmforge)
>
> # rpm -q denyhosts
> denyhosts-2.6-3.el5.rf
>
> Fedora
>
> base
>
> Craig

Debian Etch definitely has denyhosts (I just checked mine), and I hear
(though haven't yet verified) that Ubuntu Feisty and later also has it.
I'll check that out on my Feisty box when I get to work.  However, I do
have a Dapper box handy, so I just now verified that Dapper does *not*
have it, at least on PowerPC (fail2ban is there, though, so we still win).

If your distro doesn't have it in the repositories, then just go here:

  http://denyhosts.sourceforge.net/

--TP
Do you GNU <http://www.gnu.org>?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.cmosnetworks.com>--the ultimate