[K12OSN] Update Failure

Nils Breunese nils at breun.nl
Wed Jan 2 18:14:13 UTC 2008

James P. Kinney III wrote:

> This is a failure of the packager not your access. There is a file
> that
> both packages "share" and one package is trying to update the other's
> file. That is a no-no!
>
> I recommend NOT using sos and to use sysreport instead as that really
> _does_ contain the /usr/sbin/sysreport binary.
>
> You can either exclude the sos package (yum -y --exclude=sos update)
> or
> remove the sos package (yum remove sos) or you can download manually
> and
> install manually with rpm (rpm -Uvh sysreport*.rpm sos*.rpm  - this
> will
> likely fail so a retry with "rpm -Uvh sysreport*.rpm ; rpm -Uvh
> sos*.rpm" will split it up. If it _still_ fails you need to decide
> which
> package to keep. Read the info on each before the deletion with rpm -
> qpi
> sysreport*.rpm, - the flag -qpi means query package info from the
> listed
> rpm file. leave off the "p" and the *.rpm to get the data from the
> installed sysreport package. rpm -ql foo will show all files installed
> by the package foo.)

The sos package obsoletes the sysreport package and has a symlink for /
usr/sbin/sysreport pointing to /usr/sbin/sosreport. It is actually
recommended to use the sos package and *not* use the sysreport package
anymore. You should not have both sos and sysreport installed and
running 'yum update' should have installed sos and removed the
obsoleted sysreport.

If you're not to afraid to execute terminal commands as root, please
check the output of 'rpm -q sos sysreport' and I'll see what we can do.

Nils Breunese.