[K12OSN] Terminal Sound Problems

John Montoya jomonto at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 01:53:17 UTC 2008

Me again ! <smile>

I'm stuck with a sound issue.
K12LTSP 6 / GNOME

I'm just not getting any sound on the terminals at all. I've read just
about all I can find here, but maybe I'm just missing something.
Right now sound = Y, sound_daemon is "esd" (tried both).
The terminals have Creative Audio PCI ES1371.
On terminal boot up - I see that it finds the ES1371, then loads
AC97_codec, then accepts or listens on port 16001
No - errors.
But - at a terminal, if I try a program - I get nothing. I have the
sound turned on under system prefs.

I found this - " streamer" and tried it with these results:

bash-3.1$ gstreamer-properties
gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'artsdsink'
gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'pulsesink'
gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'sdlvideosink'
gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'v4lmjpegsrc'
gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'qcamsrc'
gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'v4l2src'
gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'esdmon'
gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'pulsesrc'
gstreamer-properties-Message: Error running pipeline 'Autodetect':
Could not open resource for writing. [gstalsasink.c(640):
gst_alsasink_open (): /autoaudiosink1-actual-sink-alsa:
Playback open error on device 'default': No such device]
gstreamer-properties-Message: Error running pipeline 'Test Sound':
Could not open resource for writing. [gstalsasink.c(640):
gst_alsasink_open (): /autoaudiosink2-actual-sink-alsa:
Playback open error on device 'default': No such device]

I just cant get the terminal to see any default card.

This sound issue is the LAST thing I need to resolve before dropping
this new server into production.

Thanks for your time,

john-