[K12OSN] Terminal Sound Problems

Barry Cisna brcisna at eazylivin.net
Thu Jan 3 06:57:29 UTC 2008

Hi John,

Here are a couple things to try.

1. System,>Preferences,>More Preferences,>Multimedia Systems Selector,>
Click on Output,> Click your dropdown arrow and make sure ESD-Enlighment
Sound System is selected,> Click on TEST. You should get sound.

2. in a terminal do ' yum install xmms '
This will install the xmms player which is not installed by default in
k12ltsp.
xmms seems to work for a good "testing audio" application when someone is
having probs as you are.
Once installed open xmms from Applications,> Sound and Video,>Audio Player
2a. Click dropdown arrow,>Options,>Preferences,> Select esd for "Output
plugin,> Click Apply & OK.
2b. Click on dropdown arrow in xmms window,.Click Play Directory, > Drill
down to
/usr/share/sounds
xmms should play all the sound files in this directory. See if you get
sound bars showing as each file plays. If  you do see sound bars you are
getting audio output and your speakers are not connected correctly,:-(
This will at least confirm you are or are not getting audio output
"visualy".

If you still are not getting sound The following may quite possibly fix
your problem. I had to do this on one server way back and I dont know why
on just one server this was a fix, but it did fix my sound problem. Have a
look here:

  http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/Sound#ESD_can_t_play_sound

Let us know .

Take Care,