[K12OSN] 4GB memory limit?

Michael Blinn mblinn at peopleplaces.org
Thu Jan 3 18:04:26 UTC 2008

The RAM issue is a limitation of physical address space in 32-bit
systems. You have two options to get around it: Run 64-bit kernel (if
processor supports it) or run the bigmem kernel, which implements PAE
(Physical address extensions). There is a performance hit associated
with using PAE, however I'm not sure of the specifics. I shouldn't
expect it to be really noticeable unless you're on a loaded server. You
may want to pass a mem=4GB kernel boot options and see if that makes a
difference. - Perhaps PAE (bigmem) is slowing you down a lot?

And yes, I would suggest using CentOS as FC6 is already EOL.

Cheers,
  Michael