[K12OSN] 4GB memory limit?

David Hopkins dahopkins429 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 18:53:30 UTC 2008

NCS uses CentOS and the Gnome window manager. Responsiveness is not
normally an issue with one exception: if a lot of users (like 20 or
more) simulatneously open FF we can see a huge hit for several
minutes.  In the FF default settings I have turned off checking for
updates for all users and that has helped. Moving to FF 2.0 also
helps.  This is running on both new (Opteron 64bit) and older (Xeon
hyperthreaded 2.4Gz 32bit, 4BG memory) servers.

When the system slows down, does top show that the system is using lots of swap?

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins