[K12OSN] was: 4 Gig mem limit

Henry Hartley henryhartley at westat.com
Thu Jan 3 22:31:28 UTC 2008

Brandon Kovach wrote:

>> Pardon me for being dumb, but what is the k12ltsp EL?  More to the
>> point, what is different between it and k12ltsp?  Is it still
>> fedora based?  I think I read a post that said CentOS, but I can't
>> find it now.  We've used the k12 project stuff for 4 years now and
>> have had no trouble, but this year hasn't been the case.  I've had
>> quite some trouble with it.  I was looking at maybe switching to
>> something else ... Edubuntu or maybe doing a debian build myself.

Yes, the EL versions are based on CentOS which is in turn based on Red
Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL, hence the EL in the name).  The 5EL version
is based (big surprise here) on CentOS 5 (based on RHEL 5) and is in
turn based on Fedora 6.  Yes, the numbers are out of sync between
RHEL/CentOS and Fedora and will continue to be more and more as Fedora
releases are much more frequent.  For many, the release cycle of Fedora
is too fast for production servers.  Also, the "security patch life
cycle" for RHEL/CentOS is considerably longer.  If I remember correctly,
version 5 will continue to get security patches into 2012.

I believe that all the (recent) released versions of K12LTSP based on
Fedora and CentOS use LTSP 4 while Edubuntu uses LTSP 5.  That's a
temporary lead, as far as I know but may be significant to you.

--
Henry