Re: [K12OSN] was: 4 Gig mem limit

 Henry Hartley wrote:

Brandon Kovach wrote:

Pardon me for being dumb, but what is the k12ltsp EL?  More to the
point, what is different between it and k12ltsp?  Is it still
fedora based?  I think I read a post that said CentOS, but I can't
find it now.  We've used the k12 project stuff for 4 years now and
have had no trouble, but this year hasn't been the case.  I've had
quite some trouble with it.  I was looking at maybe switching to
something else ... Edubuntu or maybe doing a debian build myself.

Yes, the EL versions are based on CentOS which is in turn based on Red
Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL, hence the EL in the name). The 5EL version
is based (big surprise here) on CentOS 5 (based on RHEL 5) and is in
turn based on Fedora 6.  Yes, the numbers are out of sync between
RHEL/CentOS and Fedora and will continue to be more and more as Fedora
releases are much more frequent. For many, the release cycle of Fedora
is too fast for production servers.  Also, the "security patch life
cycle" for RHEL/CentOS is considerably longer. If I remember correctly,
version 5 will continue to get security patches into 2012.

That's version 4. :o) RHEL has 7 years (!) of security patches and since RHEL/CentOS 5 was released in 2007 it will receive security fixes until 2014.

Nils Breunese.